Presidential Results by Current New York City Council District

New York City is broken up into 51 City Council Districts. Republicans currently hold 3 of them – districts 50 and 51 on Staten Island, and 32 in Queens.

I’ve estimated the percentage of the vote Clinton, Trump and others won in 2016 using the CCD and precinct shapefiles. This may not be perfect, as the shapefiles are not perfect, and I had to allocate precinct fragments to the larger entity, which might not be correct. However, as you can see on the map below the jump, according to my estimates, Trump won 4 NYC CCDs – Republican-leaning 50 and 51 on Staten Island and the heavily-Orthodox Jewish 44 and 48 in Brooklyn:

Note that Trump did not win Eric Ulrich’s CD 32 in Southeast Queens. In fact, as the charts below show, he lost it 38%-60%:

I can’t find the 2012 precinct-level results, but the 2008 results, based on a shapefile analysis of the VTD estimates from Dave’s Redistricting App versus the 2013 NYC CCD shapefile lines appears to be similar – McCain won the same 4 current NYC CCDs. These results, however, are fraught with even more potential estimation errors, as I could not fully reconcile the total vote to CCDs. The 2008 map is below:

Finally, I’ve made a map of the predominant racial group residing in each CCD, as of the 2010 Census. This is based on archived data from the NYC entity responsible for redistricting, so it should be accurate:

Note that Trump didn’t even come close to winning in many of NYC’s non-Hispanic white plurality and majority districts.

I’m sure those posters who are more familiar with NYC geography than I am can add more analysis. I can also add more maps (like the overall percentage of votes won by a particular candidate in each NYC CCD or percentage of a particular racial group in each NYC CCD) upon request.

• Izengabe September 7, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Jill Stein beat Trump for second place in NY CD-36 in Bed Stuy!

• jncca September 7, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Is it the only place besides Berkeley where that is true?

24, CA-6. Part Obama, Part May, Part Christian Democrat.

• cinyc September 7, 2017 at 8:31 pm

According to Ryne Rohla at DDHQ, Stein also narrowly beat Trump for second place in the neighborhoods surrounding UC-Santa Cruz:

I’m sure there also were some other precincts where Stein beat Trump for second – and McMullin or even Johnson beat Clinton.

• Greyhound September 7, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I would imagine its true for Noe Valley and similar places in SF as well.

• segmentation_fault September 7, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Check out Hana, Maui, HI. DDHQ’s precinct map is down right now, but I think Trump might have been behind Stein there.

core dumped

• kewgardens September 7, 2017 at 9:39 pm

But are there any distinct districts with populations in excess of 160,000 (roughly the size of a NYC CCD) where this occurred?

• cinyc September 7, 2017 at 10:18 pm

It might be. Berekely’s population (about 120K) is smaller than NYCCD-36’s (152,846, as of 2010 – it’s underpopulated for a CCD).

According to Internet reports, Stein came in second in the Bed Stuy NYS ADs – but NYS Assembly Districts are smaller than New York City Council Districts.

BTW – Stein came in second in one county – Kalawao, HI, where she got 5 votes to Clinton’s 14 and Trump’s 1. The leper colony there is one of the smallest counties in the country.

• californianintexas September 8, 2017 at 12:48 am

Stein did get more votes than Trump in Berkeley, but not in the districts containing Berkeley (CD-13, SD-09, AD-15). In 2000 Nader got more votes than Bush in Berkeley proper as well as AD-14 and the 5th Supervisor district.

• FreedomJim September 9, 2017 at 9:18 pm

I did not know that Kalawao is a separate county. It might be the only one in the USA where Trump did not finish top two. I think there are some in Utah and maybe Idaho where Clinton was third behing McMullin .

• californianintexas September 9, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Kalawao is a separate county, though it has no government of its own; it’s a judicial district of Maui County.

McMullin got more votes than Clinton in the majority of Utah counties (15 of 29): Utah, Cache, Davis, Morgan, Tooele, Box Elder, Sanpete, Juab, Rich, Iron, Millard, Beaver, Uintah, Sevier, Duchesne

In Idaho, that happened in 6 counties, all in the east as I thought: Madison, Jefferson, Fremont, Oneida, Bear Lake, Caribou.

• FreedomJim September 10, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Thanks, Californianintexas!

• Indy1975a September 7, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Curious about the Obama-Romney numbers, and the DeBlasio-Lhota numbers in 2013 in the districts that were somewhat competitive or Trump wins. In particular # 11, 13, 19, 20, 30,32, 43, 44, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51.

Independent, R until November 2016. Proud "Globalist Cuck"!

• segmentation_fault September 7, 2017 at 4:50 pm

De Blasio did a lot better than Clinton in CCD-44, only losing Borough Park 50-47, but I’m not sure if that translates to a win in the CCD. Lhota probably won CCDs 4 and 5.

core dumped

• cinyc September 7, 2017 at 4:58 pm

I can’t find the 2012 precinct results online, so I can’t calculate the Obama-Romney numbers. I’ll have to check to see if the 2013 mayoral results are available by CCD or precinct somewhere.

• cinyc September 7, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I can’t find the 2013 mayoral race precinct results online, either, unfortunately. They definitely do exist, as both the New York Times and NYC Election Atlas had precinct maps, at least on election day. For example: http://www.nycelectionatlas.com/maps.html#!2013general NY Election Atlas links to the NYC results page for 2013, which only has PDFs with borough results, no xls/csv file for precincts.

If anyone else can find the precinct data for 2012 or 2013, please let me know here.

• Izengabe September 7, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Trump got 17.49% of the vote in his own City Council District. That has to be some kind of record worst showing for a President in his own city council district!

• kewgardens September 7, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Of course that was his best showing in a Manhattan CCD!