2017 NYC Mayoral Race by Precinct

Below is a preliminary precinct map of the 2017 NYC Mayoral Race. New York doesn’t count absentees until well after election day, so this is only of the election day vote. Not all precincts are reporting yet.

As you can see, Malliotakis cleaned up on Staten Island, Southern Brooklyn, and the white parts of Queens and the Bronx. She even won the tonier parts of the Upper East Side. de Blasio won everywhere else. As of right now, Albanese is ahead in one Coney Island precinct.

Here’s a “swing” map of de Blasio’s 2017 general election percentage minus Clinton’s 2016 general election percentage (I took off the precinct lines to make it easier to see Manhattan):

de Blasio outperformed Clinton in many of the Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, like Borough Park. This probably shouldn’t be so surprising, since Orthodox Jews tend to be less Republican down ballot and Trump won a lot of the Orthodox neighborhoods by large margins. The rest of the map is pretty much the racial map of NYC, with Clinton-supporting whites generally living in the darker blue areas. (Note: I made a computational mistake on my original swing map. It was updated on 11/11).

Perhaps still more to come.

• MosheM November 8, 2017 at 7:44 am

Thanks!

29, M, R, NY-10

• californianintexas November 8, 2017 at 10:14 am

Very interesting. Also those red precincts next to Central Park are intriguing.

• Izengabe November 8, 2017 at 11:32 am

That’s the Upper East Side, Fifth Avenue to Park Avenue. Also that one lone red precinct in Manhattan by the water near Gracie Mansion is where deBlasio wants to put a garbage transfer station. His neighbors there hate him.

• cinyc November 8, 2017 at 10:46 am

They’re generally 50-60% Malliotakis precincts – not blowouts like on Staten Island. Lhota probably won those precincts in 2013, too, and did better in the rest of the Upper East Side.

• Manhatlibertarian November 8, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Well I guess there are some wealthy people on the East Side who haven’t gone over to the Resistance yet. When you look at all that Red in South Brooklyn and NE Queens you would think the GOP would be able to get 2 or 3 council seats out of these areas but no such luck. At best the GOP will pick up 1 seat in the red area of Western Queens (Middle Village,Glendale etc.) depending on absentee and provisional ballots. Thanks for posting this.

• Izengabe November 8, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I’m not too hopeful about Holden beating Crowley. He’s only leading by 122 votes pending the counting of absentee and provisional ballots. Elizabeth Crowley’s Uncle is the Queens County political boss. I have a feeling lots of questionable provisional ballots will somehow be found valid. The scales of justice in Queens probably will lean in her favor.

Also Holden is a registered Democrat who ran on the GOP line. He is quite conservative and allied with Ulrich’s people.

• Manhatlibertarian November 8, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Well questionable provisional ballots will probably wind up in court; I just wonder how many of them there are in total since they normally lean Dem. Also hard to figure out how absentees will go. I don’t think Crowley was too worried about Holden; it was thought the GOP had a better shot at several other seats than hers. So my guess would be she didn’t make a special effort to target absentees. So this seat could still go either way. Holden shouldn’t bring out the champagne just yet.

• Izengabe November 9, 2017 at 10:40 am

Yes! That was my point. Questionable ballots will end up in court with a judge handpicked by Elizabeth Crowley’s Uncle!

• Izengabe November 9, 2017 at 10:43 am

The local Republicans felt pretty confident about Holden’s chances. This is the most Republican council district in Democrat hands. deBlasio is very unpopular here and Holden is a Democrat who ran and took 36% of the vote in the Democrat primary this year.

• HoneyBee November 8, 2017 at 3:10 pm

This looks like Malliotakis probably won the white vote in the city which is pretty impressive

Former Anti-Trump Rubio supporter in the primaries. Trump is now my favorite Republican

• lukevl November 8, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Not likely. Manhattan is solid blue and these days outside of a handful of neighborhoods way north, solid white (Harlem isn’t even majority black anymore). Much of the blue in Brooklyn is Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg and in Queens, Astoria etc. All mostly white. Nicole did well in the “ethnic” white neighborhoods (Irish, Italian, Greek because she is one) where Republicans can do well on occasion. Also, Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn. But she didn’t stake out any new territory. This election just shows a deeper divide.

• HoneyBee November 8, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Manhattan majority minority. 48% non-hispanic white.

My thinking was that NYC as a whole is only 1/3 white. And Malliotakis probably got very few minority votes, as blacks are ultra dem everywhere, and NYC hispanics are super dem. Considering she got 29%, those votes had to go from somewhere. While I’m sure the electorate in NYC is more than 1/3 white, did DeBlasio really win more than half? Malliotakis won the upper east side, dominated Staten Island, won almost all the white areas in Queens and Orthodox jew areas in Brooklyn. Even Astoria barely voted DeBlasio, and Malliotakis probably won whites in Astoria.

The only white areas DeBlasio won were the ultra hipster areas in Manhattan and Brooklyn

• Izengabe November 9, 2017 at 11:28 am

Malliotakis did not win the upper east side! She won the Upper East Side west of Park Avenue. The Upper East Side east of Park Avenue is not hippster, it is white and deBlasio won. Also Midtown, Tudor City, StyTown and lots of other white collar upper middle income areas was won by deBlasio in Manhattan. deBlasio won the VERY unhipster white areas of Riverdale in the Bronx, Roosevelt Island, Long Island City and many other place. Your black and white analysis is just wrong.

Also Astoria is Greek. A candidate named Malliotakis doing better there than the average Republican is not surprising at all.

• Manhatlibertarian November 8, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Yeah outside of a few precincts on the Upper Eastside, high turnout upscale liberal whites really dominate in Manhattan, as well as North Brownstone Brooklyn, Forest Hills, parts of Long Island City and Riverdale, etc. Although Malliotakis ran basically as a moderate issue oriented candidate, she as deBlasio would point out, was guilty of “original sin” – she voted for Trump! A lot of these upscale white liberals are also suspicious of “outer borough ethnic whites”, who they don’t see as having the same type of values they have. But I would guess Malliotakis did get at least 40% of the white vote, possibly a little more.

• Greyhound November 8, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Oh easily. In fact, aside from the Sex and the City Precincts in Southern Manhattan and NW Brooklyn, this map pretty much doubles as a “Map of which Precincts in NYC are White-majority and which are not”. She probably won close to 60% of the White Vote outside of Manhattan.

Of note though is that Boro park seems to be surprisingly divided. I don’t know if they had an specific grievances with either candidate, but its rare to see that part of the city close in any election when they’re normally 90-95% one way or the other.

• HoneyBee November 8, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I would love to see a history of NYC mayoral election results by precinct. I’m sure it would be hard to do but it would be fascinating. I’d love to see how Giuliani’s wins compared to Bloomberg’s. Just looking at county results I can see that Bloomberg got almost the exact same % in 2001 and 2009 but in 2009 he won Manhattan, and did much worse on Staten Island.

When I say history, I mean going back probably only to 1989 of course. Not really interested in the elections that were all Dem blowouts or elections where Republicans were super RINOs like Lindsay

• cinyc November 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I have had a hard time finding precinct level data for prior years, let alone shapefiles, but nycelectionatlas.com should have what you’re looking for.

Bloomberg generally won more of Manhattan than Malliotakis.

• cinyc November 8, 2017 at 11:29 pm

I updated this with a de Blasio vs. Clinton swing map and a little bit more explanatory text.

• cinyc November 11, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Unfortunately, I made a computational error when computing the original de Blasio-Clinton swing map. It has been fixed.